• The Youngstown State men’s basketball team returns to action to welcome Horizon League leader Cleveland State on Sunday, Jan.9. The game against the Vikings is scheduled to kick off at 2 p.m. at the Beeghly Center in Youngstown, Ohio. Coverage of the game is available on the ESPN + / 570 WKBN / iHeartRadio app.
• The Penguins (9-6, 3-2 Horizon League) just suffered a disappointing 71-61 home loss to Purdue Fort Wayne on Friday night.
• Cleveland State (9-3, 6-0 Horizon League) just won 78-77 against Robert Morris on Friday night.
• The Vikings’ first is D’Moi Hodge senior with 14 points per game and Torrey Patton with 13.2 points per game.
• This is the first meeting between the schools of the Beeghly Center since the 2019-20 season. Both games last year were played in Cleveland.
• Youngstown State is looking to break a two-game slippage against the Vikings and claim their second straight win over CSU at the Beeghly Center.
• YSU is hosting Northern Kentucky on Thursday January 13, 2022 at the Beeghly Center. Kick-off is at 7:02 p.m.
Last exit: PFW 71, YSU 61
Youngstown State abandoned a disappointing 71-61 home decision over Purdue Fort Wayne on Friday night.
WITH A VICTORY
• YSU goes 10-6 overall and 4-2 in the Horizon League.
• Mark Youngstown State’s second consecutive victory over the Vikings at the Beeghly Center.
• Mark YSU’s first win over Cleveland State since 2020.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun’s 63rd victory at YSU and the 187th of his career.
YSU has won four road games, including two with over 18 points. The Guin’s two road casualties were in Penn State and West Virginia.
After losing to Penn State in Game 1, YSU defeated Southeast Missouri, 97-79, and claimed league wins in Milwaukee (72-70) and Green Bay (82-58) before drop to WVU on December 22. The Penguins also have a 64-60 road championship victory over Robert Morris.
70 points the key
The Penguins are 8-1 this year as they score 70 or more points. On five occasions, YSU has scored over 80 points in wins over Defiance (96), SEMO (87), Central Michigan (84), Green Bay (82) and Westminster (81). Youngstown State had 70 in a victory in Milwaukee, 71 in the victory over Canisius and 79 in beating St. Thomas (Minn.). The Penguins scored 72 points in a loss to Oakland on Jan. 1.
Akuchie is approaching 1,000
He would become the 41st player in school history to score 1,000 career points.
This season, he has 206 points in 15 games and has scored over 100 points in each of his five seasons with the program. He has also scored at least 200 points in each of the past three seasons.
He’s averaging a career-high 13.7 points heading into the game. He was best of 9.9 per game last year.
In his first two years at YSU, he scored 223 points (59 games). In the last two seasons and more, he has accumulated 759 points (74 games).
He has scored in double digits in 13 of 15 games this year with a high of 22 at Penn State. He just won a 10-point, eight-rebound effort against Purdue Fort Wayne.
Olison shows a touch of scoring
Olison has scored 20 or more points three times so far. He posted a record 27 at SEMO, while adding 21 against Central Michigan and 20 at Green Bay.
His prowess as a scorer has been on display the previous two seasons at the College of Cumberlands in Tennessee. In two years, he achieved 33 performances of 20 points.
Chicone reaches career high
The Mentor, Ohio native scored a career-high 13 points on 5 of 7 shots from the field and picked up three rebounds.
Calhoun in the fifth season
Jerrod Calhoun has a career record 186-115 and 62-77 in his fifth season with the program. He ranks third in school history for Head Coach victories at YSU.
Since the start of the 2019-20 campaign, he is 42-34 in total. YSU have also won 16 of their last 24 games since February of last year.
As of Jan. 31, 2019, the Penguins have a 48-37 record for a 0.565 winning percentage.
YSU has finished above .500 in each of the past two seasons.
Penguins at home
The Penguins have played eight home games this season and are 5-4 at the Beeghly Center.
As of February 7, 2019, Youngstown State holds a home record of 32-12 for a 0.727 winning percentage.
Akuchie M. Rebound
Akuchie notched a Horizon League record with 24 rebounds for Robert Morris on February 6, 2021. He made eight double-digit rebound games last year.
This season, Akuchie is averaging 7.5 rebounds per game, which ranks him sixth in the Horizon League.
Akuchie has 688 career rebounds and only needs 12 more to become the fourth YSU Division I player to win 700 rebounds in a career.